Do you like empanadas? Empanadas are essentially dumplings. Delicious, flaky dough is stuffed with all sorts of fillings. Empanadas can be savory or sweet. Today, I want to talk about savory empanadas!
When I was pregnant, I had an intense craving for savory empanadas. I enjoyed them stuffed with many fillings. Cheese and spinach. Ground beef and veggies. Chorizo! Or, beans and cheese. Once you get down this dough, you can honestly add anything to them. That is the beauty!
Alone, these empanadas are a tasty snack. Paired with a salad and a glass of wine, they becomes a whole meal!
The secret is in the dough. It cannot be too salty. Otherwise, it will overpower the seasoned meat filling. It cannot be too sweet. Because it will clash with the savory stuffing. Therefore, the dough has to be just right. I have perfected this recipe over time and am excited to share it with you!
Furthermore, these empanadas are a delicious treat to bring to potlucks. Because, they are easy to reheat! You can make them ahead of time, get ready for your party, and bring them in your favorite platter.
Additionally, savory empanadas are a fantastic way to revitalize leftovers! Add cold leftover picadillo, chorizo, or cheesy refried beans. After baking the empanadas, they will come out warm and ready to eat!
What is your favorite stuffing for empanadas? Let me know in the comments!
I hope you like this recipe. If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram or TikTok!
If you prefer sweets, I have a recipe for you too! You can find my recipe for sweet empanada dough here. Enjoy!
Savory Empanadas Dough Recipe
- Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- 3 cups flour plus more for dusting.
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt one pinch
- 2 eggs divided, room temp
- 1 stick butter room temp
- 1/2 cup milk room temp
- 1 1/2 cups filling of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl: flour, salt, baking powder, sugar.
- Add in one egg and the butter. (Reserve the second egg for later.)
- Start your stand mixer at the lowest setting.
- As the ingredients come together, slowly add in the milk.
- Mix at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- The dough should come together in the form of a smooth ball.
- Turn off the mixer and remove the dough.
- Separate the dough into 12 equally sized spheres.
- On a floured surface, roll out each sphere until flat, like a tortilla.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of the filling of your choice, such as refried beans or chorizo.
- Fold the dough over to trap in the filling.
- Pinch the edges, or use a fork to seal the edges.
- Once you are all done assembling the empanadas, add them to a floured baking tray.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!