When I was growing up, my mom owned and operated a panaderia, or Latin bakery. Therefore, baking and eating pan dulce (Latin sweet bread) is a huge part of my life. Recently, I discovered that my toddler son has a gluten allergy. As a result, I am experimenting with different types of flours for baking. Rice flour is a natural alternative for me since it is used in so many Salvadoran recipes. After some trial and error, I have perfected a delicious recipe for gluten free Salvadoran quesadilla!
What is Salvadoran Quesadilla?
A few months ago, I posted a recipe for Salvadoran quesadilla here. And no, this is nothing like a Mexican quesadilla, with tortillas and melted cheese. Rather, a quesadilla from El Salvador is a type of sweet bread. Think if a cheesecake and pound cake had a delicious baby.
When made correctly, Salvi quesadilla should be sweet, moist, a little cheesy and so good! Topped with sesame seeds and baked to golden perfection, it tastes amazing with coffee! It is probably one of my favorite pan dulces.
How to make the recipe gluten-free
Thankfully, making this recipe was fairly easy! I use one cup rice flour and one cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix. The result is a moist sweet bread that is safe for anyone with a gluten allergy or intolerance!
I used to make my quesadilla with two cups of pancake flour. However, I recently had the idea to split it. And add only one cup of pancake flour. Then, add a cup of rice flour into the mix. My friend Hoozay’s mom inspired this tweak. She is an expert in the kitchen and has a delicious quesadilla recipe that I love! Check it out here.
How to enjoy Gluten Free Salvadoran Quesadilla
Enjoy this sweet treat with coffee or hot chocolate!
Learn how to make authentic Mexican hot chocolate here.
Learn how to make cafe de Olla here.
Gluten Free Salvadoran Quesadilla
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Kraft parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup queso duro grated
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Salvadoran crema
- sesame seeds enough to top the batter in your pan
- cooking spray enough to coat your pan
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter reaches a smooth consistency.
- Spray your loaf pan with a thin, even layer of cooking spray.
- Pour batter into sprayed loaf pan.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Enjoy with cafecito!