How to make a Cilantro Tortilla
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Green is the theme. Green beer. Green nail polish. So why not enjoy green food? This cilantro tortilla has a beautiful green color, which is perfect for festivities! Not only are they festive, but they are delicious too! These green tortillas pack a punch of flavor thanks to the cilantro, lime, and salt. The best part is the decorative cilantro leaf in the middle that is reminiscent of a shamrock.
Disclaimer: this recipe is not authentically Irish whatsoever. In fact, there is nothing really Irish about this recipe! But, it’s green and delicious. So why not have fun with it? Make tacos out of these tortillas and enjoy the tacos with green beer. Bam! So, in the spirit of lightheartedness and fun, let’s get on with this yummy recipe.
Corn tortillas made with cilantro
Now, I think you can certainly add cilantro to flour tortillas. That would be delicious. For this recipe, however, we will stick with corn tortillas!
Cilantro: Flavor + Natural Food Coloring
You can certainly use green food coloring in your tortillas. However, cilantro is a natural alternative. Additionally, adding the cilantro will add more depth of flavor.
Don’t like cilantro?
Do you have the cilantro soap gene? Or maybe you just plain don’t like it? You can also use fresh parsley instead. Or, you can also learn an alternate way to make green tortillas with spinach here.
Cilantro Tortilla Recipe
To make these tortillas, combine corn masa harina, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and warm water. Mix into a dough. Once the dough no longer sticks to your hands, you can stop mixing. Allow to rest, covered with a towel for up tp ten minutes. Divide into equally sized spheres. Flatten in your tortilla press. Cook on a coral on medium heat. Once cooked, place into a tortilla basket to keep warm until you are ready to eat!
If you liked this recipe, then I encourage you to sign up for my email list and check out my award-winning cookbook on Amazon.
Green Cilantro Tortilla Recipe
- 1 tortilla press
- 1 comal
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 handful cilantro rinsed
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Rinse the cilantro, and set aside 12 leaves.
- Add the cilantro, warm water, salt, and lime juice to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the mixture to a bowl, along with one cup of masa harina.
- Mixd together with your hands. Massage until the masa no longer sticks to your hands. This should take about ten minutes.
- Divide the masa into 12 spheres, each the size of a golf ball.
- Add one ball of masa into your tortilla press. Press gently. Once mostly flat, add one cilantro leaf to the middle of the raw tortilla. Now, press firmly. You will have a beautiful tortilla with a decoration in the middle.
- Set your comal on medium-high heat.
- Add your flattened tortilla, cilantro leaf side up. Warm for about one minute, then flip, cooking for an additional 15 seconds.
- The tortilla will blister and puff up. This is great! Just make sure it does not burn.
- Put your cooked tortilla into your tortilla warmer. Continue until you have made all of the tortillas, and used up all of the masa.