Agua Fresca de Citricos Receta
Recently, my husband came home with buckets of citrus. I’m talking lemons, oranges, and grapefruit. A friend of his owns a farm and generously gifted us some fruit! Y pues mira, over the weekend, my husband got a lot of sun. As a result, he asked me to make him an agua fresca! So, naturally, I did. I am excited to share this agua fresca de citricos recipe with you.
Lemon, Orange & Grapefruit
This recipe contains 3 different types of citrus fruits. The flavor combination is tangy and sweet. Therefore, the result is refreshing and satisfying.
Did you know? Aside from being tasty, all citrus fruit is high in vitamin C. Therefore, this Agua Fresca is great for your immune system!
Simple Syrups for the Win
The simple syrup in this recipe gives the agua fresca amazing flavor. Sure, you could just stir in a cup of sugar into this Agua Fresca. I won’t judge you for that! But, making the simple syrup is so worth it. So, I suggest you give it a try!
What is a simple syrup? A simple syrup consists of one cup of sugar dissolved in one cup of boiling water. Further, you can infuse your simple syrups to give them even more flavor. For example, in this recipe, I infuse my simple with the actual citrus peels for even more of a citrus flavor punch.
Doubles as a Great Cantarito Base
Do you like cantaritos? A cantarito consists of citrus juice, margarita mix and tequila on the rocks. The typical way to enjoy it is in a clay cup with a Tajin and Chamoy rim. Therefore, this citrus Agua Fresca makes a great base for a cantarito! Just pour it into a clay cup and add your favorite tequila blanco. No margarita mix is needed. The taste is so delicious.
How to make an agua fresca de citricos
- 12 oranges
- 3 Grapefruits
- 6 Lemons
- 2 quarts water, for the Agua Fresca
- 1 quart ice
- For the Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- The peels of 2 lemons
- Optional, 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon, and 2 oranges, cut into wheels, for garnish
- Firstly, wash all of your fruit.
- Secondly, cut all of the citrus in half.
- Then, begin to juice your citrus.
- Once the citrus is all juiced, set it to the side.
- Reserve the peels of 2 lemons.
- Now, bring a cup of water to a boil.
- Then, dissolve a cup of sugar in the water.
- Once the sugar dissolves, add in the lemon peels.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once cool, strain the lemon peel from the syrup.
- Combine the fresh juice, simple syrup and ice to your pitcher.
- Then, add fruit wheels as garnish.
- Finally, serve, and enjoy!
What do you think of this citrus Agua Fresca recipe? Would you try it? Let me know in the comments! Finally, if you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my cookbook here. Further, if you own my cookbook and like it, please review it here. Until next time!